June 27th, 2018 – PEI Watershed Alliance Board Meeting

PEI Watershed Alliance Board Meeting

Wednesday, June 27th, 2018

2:00pm – 4:00 pm

Hunter River Community Hall

 

MEETING MINUTES

In attendance: Mike Durant, Derek Ellis, Fred Cheverie, Jason Campbell, Karen Rank, Jackie Bourgeois, Josh Lindsay, Dale Cameron, Jim Jenkins

 

    1. Call to order at 2:05pm
    2. Approval of minutes from April 12th board meeting and May 12th AGM – Fred motion to approve, seconded by Dale.

 

  • Financial review

 

    1. WMF Allocation – 25K from province was deposited into PEIWA account in early May (Derek)
    2. CRF Funds – 37K holdback from 2017 and 481K for 2018 CRF projects deposited into account for a balance of 576K (Derek)

 

  • PEIWA Board

 

    1. Eastern rep – Derek will follow up with Eastern groups, as this seat has not been filled. Expecting to hear from Hillsborough group on possible candidate.
    2. Election of officers – Jim started by suggesting that the current executive remain in their current positions. Mike, Fred and Jackie offered to remain as President (chair), Vice-chair, and treasurer, respectively. The board agreed to delay nomination of a new secretary until the next board meeting with the hope that an eastern representative will be in place by then.

 

  • Watershed Ecologist Update

 

  1. Project coordinator update – Angela provided and update (read by Derek) on: Visit by the Coastal Ecologists (CBWES), timeline on PEIWA and group deliverables (CQWF, SABWF, WRTBWA, HCWG, KNWA, SAWIG, WRIG, TUPCC) for this fiscal year, 2nd round of CRF application including which groups have applied (BAWG, TUPCC, HAWC, FCBB, TREC, HCWG, CQWF), progress report on CRF collaboration with Abegweit Conservation Society, and an update on Angela’s Atlantic DataStream conference in Halifax and the State of the Coast Conference in New Orleans
  2. Training update – Derek organized 7 separate sessions: 2 chainsaw (Charlottetown, Wellington), 2 Plant ID w/ Gary Schneider (Orwell, Wellington), 1 in-stream day w/ Central Queens (Bonshaw), 2 First aid (both in Hunter River)
  3. Derek is meeting with all groups to discuss ongoing and future projects. Have met with roughly 1/3 of groups thus far. Will continue throughout the summer.
  4. Ag Canada Living lab workshop – Invite from Yefang Jiang (Ag Canada – Harrington), Derek and Fred attended workshop exchanging ideas on an ideal location/setup/theme for a living laboratory approach. Overall goal was “building resilience in agricultural landscapes”
  5. Holland College Advisory Committees – Derek attended committee meetings on Wildlife Conservation and environmental Applied Science programs. Discussed gaps in training, necessary skills for graduates entering workforce. Derek suggested data analysis, report and grant writing as necessary skills for graduates entering watershed workforce.
  6. NCC watershed stress index – there will be a workshop in Charlottetown Aug. 17th, NCC contacted Derek to invite PEIWA board.
  7. HUB Committee minutes – Kate MacQuarrie has agreed to make these publicly available (confirmed w/ HUB committee), board suggested the alliance host these minutes on the new website along with our own.

 

  • Correspondence

 

    1. Plastic bag ban – Mike will send response from UPEI student in support of a plastic bag ban on PEI.
    2. Canadian Urban Forest Conference – Derek will draft a letter of support for Charlottetown’s bid to host the 2020 Canadian Urban Forest Conference
    3. CBC Trump ocean policy – Mike will send a response, PEIWA focus is on local issues
  1. Mary Myers (tree nursery)
    1. Invite to next board meeting