JOB POSTING- HABITAT RESTORATION TECHNICIAN
The successful candidate will work with the PEI Watershed Alliance, watershed groups and interested stakeholders on an island-wide project to assess and rehabilitate Atlantic salmon habitat based upon the recommendations outlined in A Conservation Strategy for Atlantic Salmon on PEI (2008) and A Renewed Conservation Strategy for Atlantic Salmon on PEI (2019).
Job activities include:
- Working with a team to complete and document habitat assessments
- Completing ecosystem restoration activities including in-stream habitat projects and riparian zone improvements
- Performing ecosystem monitoring activities including measuring water quality and completing fish community assessments (redd surveys and electrofishing)
- Ability to handle physical tasks such as walking for extended periods in various outdoor habitats and frequent lifting of heavy items
- Ability to work in various weather conditions
- Ability to work as a team member and work collaboratively with stakeholders
- Ability to take instruction in executing various habitat restoration activities
- Self motivated individual who is able to work remotely with minimal supervision
- A reliable vehicle and cell phone required (mileage covered by PEIWA)
- Undergraduate degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary educational institution within a related field of study or a significant combination of training, experience and education;
- Previous experience in habitat restoration and/or assessment;
- Chainsaw certification would be considered an asset.
This is a fixed term position for 18 weeks commencing on July 6th.
Salary to commensurate with relevant education and experience.
Closing date for applications is June 29th by 5:00 PM.
Please email your resume and cover letter to Allianceprojectmanager@gmail.com