PEI Watershed Alliance Board Meeting
Thursday, July 30th, 2020
In attendance: Mary Finch, Angela Banks, Karen Rank, Rebecca Ramos, Johanna Kelly, Fred Cheverie, Scott Roloson, Emilie Morell, Jason Campbell
Regards: Dale Cameron, Jim Jenkins
Call to order: 3:04pm
Approval of Minutes from July 9th
- Approval of minute was moved by Johanna, seconded by Fred
Project Manager Update: Angela provided a verbal update that projects are progressing and deliverables are being met.
Watershed Ecologist Update: Mary provided information on the following items:
- Completing spring meeting is planned for September (Board elections, updates, etc.)
- Considering co-hosting fall AGM with ASFWB AGM
- Board is worried there will not be enough time to for both organizations to present with only one day, leaning towards hosting separately as per usual
- Province will not be providing chainsaw training this year
- Other courses available, but most groups are not interested/ cannot afford the fee
- Johanna is offering to “loan employees out” for chainsaw operators- she has several trained
- Scott and Emilie also have a couple employees from the eastern end
- Karen has couple for west too
- 5 groups are interested so far
- Billing has changed as now the Alliance will be billed in full and then have to bill groups separately
Sustainable water extraction research / High Capacity Wells Presentation:
- Board met with Mike Van Den Heuvel and Robert Godfrey on July 24th
- All agree the project is addressing key problems and research is needed, but do not see the fit for partnership within the Alliance’s current goals and mandate
- Concerns with availability of baseline data and available models
- This is a large issue and requires significant more discussion and input from with watershed groups before the Alliance can agree to be a partner.
- Based on board comments, Mary and Mike will draft a response to Mike’s invitation and create a google doc for the board’s input, edits and approval prior to sending to Mike van den Heuvel.
- Watershed groups to be sent Mike van den Heuvel’s invitation and the Alliance’s response letter so they are aware of the request.
- Mike van den Heuvel’s letter and Alliance’s response letter will be posted on website
Meeting adjourned: 4:16pm