Data Technician, Term Position
The Prince Edward Island Watershed Alliance (PEIWA- https://peiwatershedalliance.org/) is a non-profit cooperative association of watershed management groups on Prince Edward Island. The overall goal of the PEIWA is to improve and protect the environmental quality of Prince Edward Island watersheds, for the benefit of all Island residents. The PEIWA is working on a collaborative project with Forests, Fish and Wildlife (FFW), a division of the P.E.I. Department of Environment, Water and Climate Change.
(https://www.princeedwardisland.ca/en/department/environment-water-and-climate-change/about), to compile and digitize 25 years of fish population data.
The data technician will work with the PEIWA, FFW and watershed groups to format and catalogue data and to make data accessible via a searchable digital database.
- The candidate must be able to manage digital data, including data verification and compilation, and have the relevant scientific expertise to create and update pertinent metadata.
- The candidate should be competent in scientific computing and enthusiastic about preserving legacy data and demonstrate a commitment to open science.
- Previous experience working with open data portals such as Atlantic DataStream would be considered an asset.
- Previous experience working with biological survey information and PEI Watershed Groups would be an asset.
- Education- a university or college degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
A laptop including required hardware and software will be provided for the work term but the candidate must have their own cell phone (stipend provided).
The employee will be expected to work from home with frequent communication between project partners. A self-motivated individual is required to ensure that project deliverables are met while working remotely with minimal supervision.
Contract period: February 1- March 26th, 2020
Remuneration: Contracted for $800/week for 8 weeks (or based on qualifications).
Please send resume and cover letters to: AllianceProjectManager@gmail.com Deadline to apply is 5:00 PM on January 22nd, 2021.